Whatever age your little ones are, it is so important that you do take time to nurture their mental health. Children can worry about a whole heap of things so it is vital that we are doing everything we can to make sure children feels safe and loved.
We firmly belief that how a child views themselves has an impact on their mental health and their ability to bounce back as they grow up and develop.
Children’s wellbeing is at the core of what we do. UNICEF (2018) recognised that children learn the most in the first five years of life and what happens in those years will ultimately shape their future. At Newick Preschool we make time for all the children within our care and take special measures to create firm attachments from when a child steps through our doors for the first time. Our aim is to become a ‘significant person’ in the lives of the children and then play a crucial role in helping them to develop resilience.
- Our aim is to show love and acceptance.
- We want to build such a positive relationship it will impact the rest of their lives.
- Praise them when they do well and recognise their efforts.
- Help them to reach their milestones and goals.
- Help a child to see the funny side of things by enjoying their time with us and having fun.
- Become interested in the things that are important to a child.
- Let children know it’s ok to feel sad and angry (If we understand a child’s emotions they are more likely to share these emotions freely).
- Listen to those children who can’t always communicate effectively.
- Create a safe and welcoming environment.
- Teach children how to relax when they become upset.
Above all we strive to become role-models for children and set by example. We make no apologies for being tactile and giving cuddles and hugs. Children need to be loved.
We ensure that children at Newick Preschool are supported in growing in self belief, self confidence, and that each and every individual child knows that they are loved, valued, respected and cared for in our setting.